I accept different insurance and also work on a fee-for-service basis and can provide receipts if your insurance company allows you to see out-of-network providers and will reimburse you for your out of pocket expenses. Check with your insurance provider to see how much you will be reimbursed.
Insurance Accepted: (I am in the process of applying to be on various additional insurance panels, so please check back for updates.)
- AARP, Provider Discount Network
- Aetna Medicare PPO
- Christian Care Ministry Health Sharing
- Chinese Community Health Plan, Active Choice PPO
- Medi-Cal in San Francisco County through San Francisco Health Plan and in Alameda County through Alameda County Behavioral Health Care Service ACCESS
- Medicare ($0 copay)
- Optum Health Allies/Value Point
- San Francisco (Mental) Health Plan (SFHP), Private Provider Network (To use your insurance, call the ACCESS number at 415-255-3737 for a brief phone screening and specifically request me to be assigned as your therapist.)
I know it’s sometimes hard to meet me at my office. Sometimes you may be too busy, live too far away, live in a rural part of California with a shortage of therapists, or have trouble finding childcare. Video therapy is increasingly being added to augment or be an alternative to in-person therapy sessions. Many insurance plans have authorized coverage to include video visits so you can check to see if your plan includes this new service. All you need is a computer or tablet with an internet connection. Contact me if you are interested in using online video therapy.
$150/session (This can include collateral contact with a spouse, child, parent, family member)
$100/session for Christians using Health Sharing plans. ( if not otherwise covered under ValuePoint, MultiPlan, or PHCS)
$125/session Video Therapy
$50/group unless otherwise listed
cash, check, credit card, HSA Debit, Square; at the time of service.
I offer lower fee appointments for students, clients in ministry work, clients experiencing hardships/loss of a job/irregular income, or special circumstances. I prefer to reserve these times for existing clients, but if my fee is a concern, please discuss this with me.
Missed and canceled sessions affect both of us and can interrupt our clinical work together. It is understandable that occasionally you may have to miss or reschedule your appointment. If you anticipate missing an appointment, please give me a call or an email to let me know. I charge for appointments cancelled with less than 24 hours notice unless we can reschedule for another time that week.
If you have questions about therapy or whether I may be able to help you with your concerns I am happy to have a free phone consultation with you. After that if we agree to start working together, you will be signing a confidentiality agreement and consent for treatment at the first session and filling out a background information form. We will confirm insurance and payment options and reach an agreement on the frequency of sessions which is usually dependent on different factors such as urgency of concerns, your need to practice skills that may be discussed in prior sessions, and our mutual scheduling constraints. I am currently working in the San Francisco office on Mondays and Fridays and have evening hours on Fridays.
In general, all communications and treatment records are confidential. I may only release information about our work together with your written authorization. There are a few exceptions, under California law, when I am required to disclosure confidential information provided to me:
- when there is a reasonable suspicion of child, dependent, or elder (65 and older) abuse or neglect;
- when a patient discloses they have intentions to hurt themselves, or others, or are psychiatrically gravely disabled;
- when a patient discloses that they are viewing child pornography;
- when a patient’s family members communicate to me as the patient’s therapist that the patient presents a danger to others.
I am licensed to practice independently but I may participate in professional consultations with colleagues to discuss cases from time to time. If your case is discussed neither your name nor any other identifying information about you will be disclosed.
I am ethically required to meet with you only as long as you are reasonably benefiting from our work together. If I believe you need a higher level of care beyond what I can provide individually or need specialized treatment from another professional with different expertise, I will discuss this with you and make the appropriate referral. I am part of a practice that has a psychiatrist so if psychiatric medications are necessary, I can arrange for a medication consultation.
You have the right to end or postpone your treatment at any time. If you decide to do that, I encourage you to discuss with me your reasons for your decision so that we can have some closure on our work and we can talk about any referrals or additional services that may be needed.
Internet Media Policy
I believe email is a very important tool in therapy but be aware of my email use policies:
- It is not appropriate to use email to contact me for emergency situations. See my emergency contact information on the “Contact Me” page.
- I prefer to use email for business items such as managing appointments but I can respond to clinical concerns. Any emails containing clinical information will become part of your clinical record.
- My email correspondence with you through the domain alexwangphd.com is facilitated by the HIPPA compliant Hushmail.com service to allow me to securely correspond with you using TLS and other security protocols. For ongoing clients who don’t use hushmail, I will be setting up a password system with you so that you can verify your identify and receive encrypted emails from me if needed. These emails expire over time so if you have trouble retrieving an email, just contact me and I can resend it. When I send an encrypted email to you which you open using the password that you selected, keep in mind that your email responses are also encrypted. However, if you simply email me from your own account, you are using whatever encryption or lack of encryption of your own email service and you are agreeing to your service’s limits of confidentiality.
- I usually check my email a few times a day and typically will respond to emails (and phone calls) within 12 hours. Email services can go down; if you don’t receive a response within 24 hours, try resending your email or calling me over the phone.
I do not accept friend or contact requests from current or former clients on any social networking site (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.). I believe that adding clients as friends or contacts on these sites can compromise your confidentiality and our respective privacy. It may also blur the boundaries of our therapeutic relationship. If you have questions about this, please bring them up when we meet and we can talk more about it.
Blog and Resources
I publish a blog on my website. I have no expectation that you as a client will follow my blog, however, if you post a comment that identifies yourself we may briefly discuss its potential impact on our working relationship.
I review and select blog and resource websites that I believe may be helpful for you as a client. Websites may update their content after publication and I may not be aware of these changes. Inclusion of a website does not imply that I fully endorse all content listed on that site especially if that site has ads or other content changed on the fly. If you have questions or concerns about any of the content on websites that have been listed on my blog, please let me know.
With new technological developments, I will notify you in writing of any updated policy changes.